Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Timmy's Alphabet Soup


The cook: Timmy

The ingredients: Short cut rump steak, cauliflower, milk, Monterrey Jack cheese, thyme, angel hair pasta, olive oil, parmesan cheese

The recipe: Pan-sear the steak, boil and mash the cauliflower and mix in Jack cheese and thyme, boil the pasta and toss with olive oil and parmesan.

The goal: Eat the entire alphabet in meal form, starting with A (angel hair), B (beef), and C (cauliflower).

Shopping: I didn't even know I was going to do this project when I went grocery shopping yesterday, but I was able to get it done. I usually buy a steak every Sunday to eat either that night or the next (the rump steak won out this week because, like all the steaks I end up choosing, it was on sale). I had bought a head (is that what it's called?) of cauliflower at Haymarket for a dollar last weekend, and mashed them last Wednesday. (Almost a week in the fridge, and it was still good. Incredible!) And I had less than half a box of angel hair left, which is truly fortunate, because that's not enough for its own meal, and it probably would have sat in my cabinet forever.

The Results: Good! I've really gotten the hang of cooking steaks in my cast iron pan (which I love dearly). The mashed cauliflower was, understandably, better when I ate it the first time, but it generally was a revelation. With a little cornstarch, it could really have the same consistency as mashed potatoes, and I'm sure cauliflower is better for you than potatoes. Even though I don't think there's anything wrong with potatoes. And what can I say about angel hair? It takes like, ten seconds to make. Best pasta ever!

Dessert: A bag of frozen strawberries. I'm not gonna hold myself over the coals w/r/t the alphabet thing for dessert.

Next time: D, E, and F!

1 comment:

  1. Goal: Minimally processed ingredients, preferrably local and sustainable

    Ended up being a mini Thanksgiving.

    Roasted Chicken (whole - Murrays) -Cabot's butter, salt, pepper, bay leaf.

    Cauliflower Puree (Jersey grown Cauliflower with Cabot's butter and salt)

    Sauteed Dandelion Greens (Greens were again Jersey grown, with some carmelized onion, garlic and raisins of unknown origin, all cooked again in, yep, Cabot's butter)

    ReplyDelete