Monday, August 24, 2009

Sample

The Cooks: Rob & Michelle

The Ingredients: Steak, Green Beans, Sweet Corn, Tomatoes, Mozzarella, Olive Oil

Recipe: Saute steaks, boil beans, saute sweet corn, slice tomatoes, drizzle oil oil

The Goal: Local, sustainable

Shopping: I bought my vegetables at the Union Square Green Market. I should have bought my steak there as well, but I had some extra errands to do that afternoon and didn't want a thawing steak in my handbag. I figured I could find a steak in Brooklyn that would meet my expectations. That was the big mistake of the meal. I went to four grocery stores in search of an organic, grass-fed, semi-local cut of meat. What I ended up with was a shell steak from Creekstone Farms. The packaging promised it was "Natural" which was defined as "lightly processed" with no added hormones or antibiotics, and that it was 100% vegetarian raised. I could choose between the shell steak from Canada or the U.S.A. I choose the U.S.A. steak. I think our steak came from a cow in Arkansas, but I can't be sure.

The Results: It was a tasty, summery meal. After a sweltering week in Brooklyn, it finally cooled off a little in the evening. The simple, fresh veggies tasted great (even Rob, notorious veggie hater, cleaned his plate). The steak was a hit, taste wise, even if it didn't quite live up to the standards I was aiming for.

Dessert: Blueberry ice-cream from Ronnybrook Farm. Local cows, local berries, entirely delicious.

Next time: I'll plan further in advance and make sure I can have the meat meet the standards of the rest of the meal.

No comments:

Post a Comment